NPS MedicineWise Learning
Asthma, immunisation and smoking cessation - Benji and Bridgit
Case studies for the emerging prescriber
Based on Quality Use of Medicines principles, these modules will support you in selecting the most appropriate treatment in consultation with your patient, and assisting your patients in using their medicines safely and wisely.
Target audience: Nurse practitioners, GP interns and new prescribers in a community setting
CPD points: Self-directed CPD - view details
Asthma, immunisation and smoking cessation – Benji and Bridgit
Benji is a 3-year-old boy presenting in the Emergency Department of the local hospital with shortness of breath. He is brought in by his mother Bridgit.
- Asthma management
- Smoking cessation.
Upon completion of this activity you should be able to:
Asthma – part 1
- assess severity and initiate appropriate therapy for an acute asthma exacerbation
- recommend appropriate preventative asthma therapy.
Asthma – part 2
- educate the patient/carer on appropriate asthma management and appropriate use and care of asthma devices.
- identify a child's immunisation requirements
- implement an immunisation catch-up schedule, where needed.
- implement the 5As of smoking cessation
- recommend appropriate therapy for smoking cessation.
Version 3 - Updated and released 4 June 2021
Continuing professional development and practice incentives
It is recommended that 2 CPD hours (for each activity) be recorded for the purposes of self-directed CPD.